Monday, July 20, 2009

What friendship means this year...

Every year has its differences. There's usually one or more things that define a year in particular. 2007 was the year I first travelled by myself. 2008 was the year I got a call center job that defined my professional life. 2009 was the year that I got promoted for the first time in my life. I'm not going to tell other things that happend other years, but I think I made my point.


This year is being very special... This year, my social life changed. I guess I can say that this year, I have friends.

I've always considered my previous friends... unreliable. They were just... there. Never showing any interest, never telling you if they care about you or if they don't. So, crearly stating that they didn't, having friends that do has made this year a whole new experience. I've learnt so much about them, like having friends for the first time.

I'm seriously considering that they might be my first friends ever. And, imagine this, when a kid has his first friend, he makes mistakes. Kids learn about friends all through their adolescence. They learn what's right and wrong according to the rules of friendship. What your friends expect of you and what you have to give in order to receive in exchange. You learn to love them as your family, to count on them and, most importantly, to trust.

Suddenly, I realized that I'm going through this process now. On my 22nd year of life. It's kind of late, isn't it? I'd say it's never too late, but the friends I've made have to go through this process with me. And it's hard, it really is.

At first, I didn't really know how they put up with it. But then I started thinking... "hey... they might actually be real good friends". The kind I never thought I'd get.

And now I KNOW for a fact that they're special. They haven't left me, and though I'm still learning and making mistakes, they've stated that they're not going anywhere.

I still have a little voice within, telling me that nothing lasts forever, and that there's a normal cycle for friendships. I have never heard of two best friends, REAL best friends, that lasted more than like... 20 years. I don't really think it's possible to maintain the same level of friendship through the years. I guess it fades away, it wears out. You can go back to what it was, but you know it will never be the same. Just because people change, and just like you get along with your partner, you get along with a friend. And just as you get tired of your partner, you might get tired of a friend too. I'm just saying, it happens. Everything happens. Shit happens.

I'm not going to get much into it, but I also don't want to let it behind. Something else happend to me this year. It didn't happen, it appeared to me, it shocked me. It blew me off my feet and showed me a whole different world. I guess I can say that I found love.

No comments: